Thursday, February 21, 2008

IRON CITY BEER TRIUMPH

Hello good friends from my home of Paris!

While I have never experienced the drink of Iron City on my lips as of yet, I am very excited to read the state of Pennsylvania believes in this traditional beer enough to give the brewer the big money. I read it here.

I see that they hope to brew 327,000 barrels of beer in a year. If a half barrel is 15 1/2 gallons. a full barrel is 31 gallons. That is 10,137,000 gallons of beer.

If the city of Pittsburgh has a population of 325,337 , that is about 31 gallons per person. That works out to be about 11 ounces of beer per person per day of the year. So that means that every single person in the city drinks one bottle of beer a day regardless if they are a child or a handicap! That means each person drinks a barrel of beer a year.

I am so proud of you Pittsburgh. I have often seen Pittsburgh refered to as a football city with a drinking problem but at one beer a day, I do not see this as a problem.